OA Library

Roman and medieval remains to the south of The Butcher's Arms, Main Road, Parson Drove, near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Atkins, Robert (2010) Roman and medieval remains to the south of The Butcher's Arms, Main Road, Parson Drove, near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd, Bar Hill. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report1168LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

In February 2010, Oxford Archaeology East undertook a small evaluation on land to the south of The Butchers Arms, Parson Drove, Cambridgeshire. The evaluation was adjacent to the west and north of a previous large excavation which found a Roman rural settlement including salt making alongside medieval salt making and farming activities. The present evaluation found only a single shallow Roman ditch. The medieval activity consisted of up to six ditches, most fairly shallow and these were the continuation of agricultural (and potentially salt making) features found to the east the south of the site. One large 14th century ditch, with a horse burial in it's upper fill, was also seen in the previous excavation. Very few artefacts were recovered from the evaluation perhaps suggesting that the medieval activity lay away from domestic occupation.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:1060
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:23 Apr 2013 08:37
Last Modified:23 Apr 2013 08:37

Repository Staff Only: item control page