OA Library

The 17th Century Red Lion Public House, Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire

Fletcher, Taleyna (2012) The 17th Century Red Lion Public House, Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
XNNRLP11 Draft Report 1310_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

10MB

Abstract

On 10th October 2011, Oxford Archaeology East conducted an historic building survey at the Grade II listed former Red Lion Public House in Middleton Cheney, Northamptonshire in advance of alterations scheduled to be made to convert the building into two separate residential dwellings. This work was carried out in response to a Brief issued by Northamptonshire County Council's Archaeological Advisor. The Brief required that a survey (equivalent to an English Heritage Level 2 Survey) was carried out on the existing building prior to alterations to the original fabric and removal of ground floor fixtures and fittings. The building has been unoccupied for more than two years and as a result there is evidence of general deterioration from both neglect and vandalism. Most fixtures and fittings were still in place following abandonment of the building including the bar, tables, chairs and catering equipment – none of these are considered to have any architectural value or significance and relate to late 20th century refurbishment. Six main phases of development were identified during the survey, which include the original construction in 1696 followed by five phases of expansion and development. The earliest reference to the building being in use as an alehouse was found in documentary sources dating back to 1790. The site appears to have developed and expanded particularly in the 18th and early 19th century at the height of the coaching era. The most recent phase of alteration took place in the mid-late 20th century which removed many of the original features, fixtures and fittings. Fortunately the layout still remains and the original local stone has been retained throughout. There is also potential for original features such as fireplaces and floors to be revealed and uncovered once the development gets under way. Following the exposure of a fireplace on the ground floor, photographs were taken by the client and incorporated into the report as an appendix (Appendix B).

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Primary Archives
Geographical Areas > English Counties > Northamptonshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1061
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:23 Apr 2013 09:26
Last Modified:23 Apr 2013 12:40

Repository Staff Only: item control page