OA Library

Post-medieval quarry pits and railway buildings at Academy House, Hills Road, Cambridge

Rees, Gareth (2011) Post-medieval quarry pits and railway buildings at Academy House, Hills Road, Cambridge. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report1280_LR(1).pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

On the 21st June and the 22nd June 2011 Oxford Archaeology East conducted an archaeological evaluation at Academy House, Hills Road, Cambridge, in advance of the proposed development of offices and associated car parking. The site lies in the vicinity of a possible Roman temporary camp, thought to lie to the east and close to the route of the Via Devana Roman Road. Historic mapping shows that the first modern use of the site was in the mid-19th century, when buildings associated with the railway were constructed here. Two trenches were excavated in the car park of an existing building, Unex House, that lies to the north of the site. Evidence of quarrying of the natural gravels, dating to the Post-Medieval period, was uncovered in Trench 1. All of the deposits encountered in Trench 2 were associated with the mid 19th century engine sheds and goods yards. No archaeological deposits relating to earlier periods were uncovered on the site. The Roman Via Devana is unlikely to have crossed through this site and any associated road side settlement was either not present or has been truncated by later activity.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1065
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:23 Apr 2013 11:11
Last Modified:23 Apr 2013 14:43

Repository Staff Only: item control page