OA Library

St John’s College Chapel, St. Giles, Oxford

Dean, Brian and Hiller, Jon (2008) St John’s College Chapel, St. Giles, Oxford. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXSJCC07.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial.

1MB

Abstract

In June and July 2007, Oxford Archaeology (OA) undertook an archaeological watching brief at the Chapel of St. John’s College, Oxford, prior to the installation of foundations for a new organ. Excavation of the foundation pits for the new structure revealed six brickbuilt burial vaults containing human remains, probably of late 17th or 18th century date. Two of the vault roofs had been disturbed during the installation of stone heating ducts in the 19th century. As a result of the discoveries, the design of the foundation pads was altered to accommodate the preservation of the burial vaults in situ.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords:Watching Brief
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:108
Deposited By: Ms Susan Rawlings
Deposited On:16 Mar 2010 18:12
Last Modified:22 Dec 2011 14:22

Repository Staff Only: item control page