OA Library

EXCAVATIONS AT STALLARDS PLACE, DYMOCK, GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Simmonds, Andrew and Blinkhorn, Paul and Booth, Paul and Howarth, Luke and Scott, Ian and Smith, Wendy and Strid, Lena and Slater, Georgina and Lorimer, Rosalyn EXCAVATIONS AT STALLARDS PLACE, DYMOCK, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. [Client Report]

[img]
Preview
PDF
SOYDH 2007.27.pdfA.pdf

645kB

Abstract

During April and May 2007 Oxford Archaeology (OA) conducted an excavation at Stallards Place, Dymock, Gloucestershire in advance of construction of new housing within the former gardens of Stallards Place. The investigation produced further evidence for the Roman settlement at Dymock to add to that known from previous excavations. A boundary ditch was identified extending back from the main Roman road; it defined a plot containing one definite and one possible building and a small number of pits and gullies. The ceramic evidence suggests that occupation at this site started later than at previously excavated sites at Dymock, perhaps representing a westward expansion of the original settlement, and continued in use after some other areas had been abandoned. The area investigated may have been somewhat peripheral to the main focus of the settlement; it was located at the western limit of the known distribution of Roman finds, and the results of the excavation indicated less intensive occupation than has been recorded by excavations further east. An area of pits and postholes of medieval date was identified representing occupation fronting onto the main road through the village. These features mostly dated to between the 12th and 14th centuries, and may relate to the failed attempt to establish a borough at Dymock during the 12th or 13th century.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:1151
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:14 Jun 2013 09:45
Last Modified:14 Jun 2013 11:14

Repository Staff Only: item control page