OA Library

St Leonard's church, Watlington

Bashford, Robin St Leonard's church, Watlington. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
WATLEO01.pdfA.pdf

1MB

Abstract

In Janaary 2001 the Oxþrd Archaeological Unit (OAU) undertook a watching brief at St Leonard Church, Watlington, Oxfordshire. During the installation of a new floor within the church, a west-east aligned inhumation and a bríck structure were partially exposed - the inhumation was left ín situ as no further impact would be made. Evidence for the refurbishment of the Church in 1877 was also recorded in the form of brick floor supports and a deposit of lime mortar. Following the reduction of the existing path from the south porch to the lynch gate, a number of burials were recorded, two of which were excavated and re-interred príor to the deposition of hardcore for the new path. The remainder were left in situ as they were only subject to minimal impact from the ground reduction.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1160
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:19 Jun 2013 09:30
Last Modified:19 Jun 2013 09:30

Repository Staff Only: item control page