OA Library

PARADISE STREET, OXFORD. FORMER TWA DEPOT, (PARADISE ST BUSINESS CENTRE) ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVALUATION JULY 1991

OAU, OAU PARADISE STREET, OXFORD. FORMER TWA DEPOT, (PARADISE ST BUSINESS CENTRE) ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVALUATION JULY 1991. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXPAR91_PdfA.pdf

2MB

Abstract

An archaeological field evaluation in advance of development at Paradise Street, Oxford, exposed two stonesided watercourses. One followed the line of the castle ditch shown on 17th-century plans, the other veered away from it obliquely as if providing a water supply to houses on the the abutments ot the Swan Bridge. Beneath the silts of the castLe ditch was a wattle-sided watercourse which may have been on the midline of the medieval ditch. It is conjectured that the water in the main ditch was flowing towards a building shown in 1677 with two culverts opening into the CastLe Mill Stream, and which may therefore have housed the sluices which would be needed to control water level, in the ditch.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1311
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:07 Jan 2014 10:39
Last Modified:07 Jan 2014 10:39

Repository Staff Only: item control page