OA Library

St. Michael's Road, Newbury

Brown, Richard St. Michael's Road, Newbury. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
NESMR95_PdfA.pdf

2MB

Abstract

In August 1995 an archaeological evaluation was undertaken by the Oxford Archaeological Unit on a vacant plot of land off St Michael's Road, Newbury on behalf of Sanctnary Housing Association, in advance of a planning application. The work was carried out in accordance with a brief prepared by Babtie Puhlic Services Division on helnll of Newbury District Council and Written Scheme of Investigation prepared by OAU. One trench and three test pits were excavated in place of the three proposed trenches because of difficult ground conditions. The evaluation established that, although the proposed development site had been extensively utilised during the 20th century, post-medieval (17th-19th century) cultivation of garden soils and pit digging was responsible for the truncation disturbance of any earlier archaeological deposits which may have formerly existed on the site. No trace of the medieval road alignment of St Michael's road was found.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1317
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:09 Jan 2014 14:18
Last Modified:09 Jan 2014 14:18

Repository Staff Only: item control page