OA Library

New Barns Rectory Farm Moreton Lane Northmoor Oxfordshire

Sims, Mike New Barns Rectory Farm Moreton Lane Northmoor Oxfordshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
NORECF07_finds_Summary.pdf

619kB
[img] PDF
NORECF 07.pdf

3MB

Abstract

In May and June 2007, Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief at Rectory Farm, Moreton Lane, Northmoor, Oxfordshire (NGR: SP 4167 0240). The work was commissioned by Robert Florey in advance of construction of a new cattle yard and machinery store. The area is on the edge of a Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM 141) which is a site of extensive crop marks dating to the prehistoric and Romano-British periods. The watching brief revealed a system of Romano-British boundary and drainage ditches showing evidence of multi-phase use, together with a small cluster of four hut circles also dating to the Romano-British period. While much evidence of activity was observed, the lack of evidence for domestic occupation encountered, suggests that this area was on the margins of the nearby settlement.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:1642
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:07 Apr 2014 14:49
Last Modified:02 May 2019 13:15

Repository Staff Only: item control page