OA Library

Fingest Farm Fingest Buckinghamshire

Gill, Jonathan Fingest Farm Fingest Buckinghamshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
HAFIFA12_PdfA.pdf

6MB

Abstract

Fingest Farm in Buckinghamshire is a good example of a relatively small, largely later 18th-century farmstead with various surviving buildings including a main barn, stables, milking parlour and shelter shed. The buildings, particularly the main barn, retain various examples of vernacular construction including weatherboarded timber framing set on low flint and brick plinths, queen strut trusses to stables and the use of curved inner principals to the main barn. The buildings are relatively crudely constructed and this adds to the character of the structures and provides one of the interests of the site. The roof of the main barn has a pronounced sag between bays to the ridge and eaves and this gives something of an organic character to the farmstead which is echoed in the surrounding rolling Chiltern hills. The number of waney members, many of which retain bark to their edges adds to this organic character. The current work has enhanced our understanding of the farmstead and shown that the milking parlour retains the oldest surviving fabric at the site, namely the north wall and fragments in the south and west walls. These fragments are probably of 17thcentury date but they were then incorporated into the main north range, together with the stables, in the 18th century. The milking parlour is also of interest because it retains evidence to suggest that it formerly had a hayloft, and therefore that the stables probably continued throughout this range. The stables retain some historic features such as feeding stalls and partitions which have a cobbled-together character with numerous patched alterations and Finial Associates' report on the building describes it as 'rustic vernacular at its best'. The barn is the largest and most significant building at the site but this range was previously almost twice the length of the current building, extending to the south with a further three bays as well as a small shelter at the south end. It appears that this former range, which collapsed in 1977 but from which the plinth and some timber fragments survive, would have been a continuation of the existing barn, rather than a separate adjoining building. It was presumably originally a much longer barn with two threshing floors. A common feature of the building is the extent to which it has required various phases of propping, strengthening and elements of rebuilding to prevent it from collapsing like the southern portion. The largest and clearest phase of works appears to be of later 20th-century date (possibly 1977 when the southern part collapsed) but there are also earlier phases of work including props added towards the northern end. A date of 1784 is carved into one of the posts and although this does not necessarily relate to the construction of the barn the rest of the structure does suggest that a date from the second half of the 18th century is likely. The most significant surviving feature in the barn is the well-preserved threshing floor. The west range of the yard is a small shelter shed and although this retains parts of a potentially 18th-century building the roof has been entirely rebuilt in the later 20th century.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Buckinghamshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1654
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:24 Apr 2014 09:05
Last Modified:24 Apr 2014 09:05

Repository Staff Only: item control page