OA Library

King Edward VII Car Park Extension Windsor Berkshire

Sims, Mike King Edward VII Car Park Extension Windsor Berkshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
WEDKING12_pdfA.pdf

3MB
[img]
Preview
PDF
WEDKING 12 King Edward VII Carp Park, Windsor_A1b.pdf

15MB

Abstract

In February and March 2012 Oxford Archaeology undertook a watching brief during the construction of an extension to the King Edward VII car park and associated works, Windsor (NGR: centred at SU 972 779). The work was sited in the vicinity of the “Maestricht Garden”, which was started in 1712 never completed. Superimposition of the present day plan of the area over the proposed plan of the Maestricht Garden showed that the site of the car park extension partially overlay the eastern edge of the garden. Possible evidence for the north-south avenue running along the eastern edge of the garden was observed in the form of isolated gravel and chalk deposits running across the western edge of the car park. These had been heavily disturbed, making determination of any possible alignment or assessing whether the avenue had been completed very difficult. The remainder of the works recorded evidence of 18th/19th century soils overlying natural deposits, possibly indicating either cultivation or levelling and landscaping. No evidence for archaeology pre-dating the the 18th century was observed during the course of the watching brief

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1656
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:06 May 2014 13:22
Last Modified:22 Aug 2014 09:59

Repository Staff Only: item control page