OA Library

Vrow Walk Wall, Hampton Court Palace

Kelly, Alison Vrow Walk Wall, Hampton Court Palace. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
HCP78_Building_Survey_Report.pdf

25MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology was commissioned by Historic Royal Palaces to record the Vrow Walk wall at Hampton Court Palace, Surrey. The survey took place in April 2010 and consisted of a photographic, drawn and written survey. The survey used photographs provided by Historic Royal Palaces, onto which were added written details and any features noted. Due to the nature of this survey a full brick by brick analysis of the fabric was not possible. The boundary wall was initially constructed by Wolsey during c.1514-c.1529. After Wolseys downfall the area within the boundary wall to the north west of the palace grounds was converted into a Tiltyard for use in jousting tournaments, however there is little evidence to suggest it was ever used for this purpose in the 16th century. A view of Hampton Court Palace by Anthonis van den Wyngaerde (c. 1558) shows the Tiltyard during this period and there are timber and brick buildings constructed adjacent to the boundary wall both within and without the palace grounds. By the late 17th century the Tiltyard was in disrepair with its buildings removed and openings within the wall infilled. In the early 18th century the former Tiltyard was converted into Kitchen gardens with six internal spaces created by the addition of dividing walls. New gateways were introduced to both the north an west boundary walls and extensive repairs and rebuilding of the wall took place.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1755
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:07 Jul 2014 08:21
Last Modified:07 Jul 2014 08:21

Repository Staff Only: item control page