OA Library

Eastwood House, Neale Wade Community College, March, Cambridgeshire

Fletcher, Taleyna (2011) Eastwood House, Neale Wade Community College, March, Cambridgeshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Submitted)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report1199_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

3MB

Abstract

On 28th July 2010, Oxford Archaeology East conducted a historical building survey at Eastwood House, a Late Regency/Early Victorian villa which until recently was part of the Neale Wade Community College, March. The site is owned by Cambridgeshire County Council and is the subject of planning consent for demolition as part of the redevelopment of the entire college site. This piece of work is part of the ongoing archaeological investigations being undertaken by Oxford Archaeology East since 2009 and expected to continue into 2011. This work was not carried out in response to a brief, however was undertaken to form part of the record of the site. It involved a survey of Eastwood House, the only historic building on the site and was carried out to meet the requirements of English Heritages building survey at Level 1/2. Two main phases of development were identified during the survey: construction of the original Eastwood House in the mid-19th century and internal and external alterations during the 1960s when the building was adapted to accommodate the March Grammar School. Documentary and cartographic research was carried out prior to the survey which has assisted in dating certain elements, additions and changes to the building and its immediate landscape. Although early records relating to Eastwood House or its construction were difficult to locate, the earliest mention came from Kelly's Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire where under “gentry” a John Pope Esq. was listed as its occupant. This suggests the building was constructed prior to the 1850s. Since the building has been in use as a school, most of the original features such as fireplaces had been removed. All of the original windows had been replaced and internal partition walls inserted to create smaller rooms. Despite these alterations, a number of interesting and original features remained in the building including moulded door frames and original doors on the first floor, an impressive tiled front entrance, original hinged window boxes, moulded ceiling cornices and a decorative dog-leg staircase with half landing, long, elegant turned balusters and carved brackets under each tread-end. As part of the survey, the cellar was also inspected and found to contain original wine store with vaulted brick ceiling and lime washed walls. Parts of the cellar had also been blocked off and brick support pillars/plinths inserted using re-used brick. Eastwood House has since been demolished as part of the ongoing redevelopment.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1793
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:08 Aug 2014 10:46
Last Modified:08 Aug 2014 10:46

Repository Staff Only: item control page