OA Library

Medieval Remains at Chapel End, Sawtry, Cambridgeshire

Stocks-Morgan, Helen (2013) Medieval Remains at Chapel End, Sawtry, Cambridgeshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Submitted)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report 1550_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on off Chapel End, Sawtry, Cambridgeshire (TL 1722 8366). The fieldwork took place between the 06/11/13 and 07/11/13. A total of two trenches were excavated within the proposed development area. Archaeological remains dating to the High Medieval period was visible throughout the two trenches, with tentative evidence for Late Saxon settlement within the vicinity. This late Saxon activity is represented by the retrieval of pottery from later features . During the High Medieval period a phase of occupation is represented by a rectilinear field system aligned north-east to south-west. A further phase of activity on site is represented by a rectilinear field system aligned north to south. At some point in the High Medieval period the land was reorganised on a new alignment but it is unclear which phase was present first as no relationship was evident between the two field systems. Evidence for domestic structures consists of the remains of three postholes located within Trench 1 and the eastern end of Trench 2. These are likely to represent small outbuildings. Although undated their fills are similar to the ditch fills from the High Medieval period.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:1810
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:22 Aug 2014 12:44
Last Modified:22 Aug 2014 12:44

Repository Staff Only: item control page