OA Library

St Clement’s Churchyard The Plain Oxford

Webb, Helen St Clement’s Churchyard The Plain Oxford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXTHPL07_PdfA.pdf

3MB
[img]
Preview
PDF
OXTHPL 07 Oxford A420 The Plain_A1b.pdf

16MB

Abstract

Between the 3rd and 5th September 2007, Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief on The Plain roundabout, Oxford (NGR SP 523 059). The work was commissioned by Jacobs on behalf of Oxfordshire Highways, and was carried out during roadworks on the south- eastern area of the roundabout. The watching brief revealed part of the churchyard of the old St Clement’s Church, which stood on the site until 1828. Sixteen earth- cut graves and one brick shaft grave were revealed. A small assemblage of human bone was also recovered as charnel and from graves truncated by Trench 1. The burials, all roughly west- east aligned, are thought to date to the later 18th- early 19th centuries. The quality of the coffin remains and coffin fittings are consistent with the historical information that described the population of St Clement’s parish as poor and of low status. The distribution and density of burials revealed during the watching brief was greatest in the western half of the site closest to the site of the church, but the absence of graves in the eastern half suggested that the eastern limit of the churchyard was encompassed within the study area.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Primary Archives
Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1825
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:27 Aug 2014 13:42
Last Modified:27 Aug 2014 13:42

Repository Staff Only: item control page