OA Library

National Extension College, Purbeck Road, Cambridge

Phillips, Tom (2008) National Extension College, Purbeck Road, Cambridge. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
report1040_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

3MB

Abstract

In July 2008 Oxford Archaeology East (formerly CAM ARC, Cambridgeshire County Council) undertook a desktop assessment to examine the available historical and archaeological resources relating to the site of the National Extension College on Purbeck Road, Cambridge (centred at TL 4591 5635). Januarys Ltd commissioned the work. The aim of the assessment was to define the archaeological potential of the site in advance of redevelopment. The desktop assessment will be used to determine whether an archaeological evaluation of the area is required. The site lies on the south side of Cambridge approximately 2km south of the historic core of the city with the river Cam 2km to the west. Archaeological buried remains have been found in the surrounding area. Rare evidence of prehistoric settlement comes in the form of a late Bronze Age pit to the west, a possible ditch to the south and several find spots. Most of the remains date to the Roman period. The Roman road in to Cambridge (the Via Devana), lies to the east of the site, running parallel with modern Hills Road. Between the road and the river evidence of Roman farming has been found including elements of field systems to the north and south of the site. Other evidence in the vicinity relates to the post-medieval period. The presence of Roman archaeology nearby provides the greatest potential for remains on the development area.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords:desktop assessment
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Bronze Age 2500 - 700 BC
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:1828
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:01 Sep 2014 09:22
Last Modified:01 Sep 2014 09:22

Repository Staff Only: item control page