OA Library

The New Meeting Room, St Andrew’s Church, Oakington, Cambs

Mortimer, Richard (2009) The New Meeting Room, St Andrew’s Church, Oakington, Cambs. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
report1124_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

583kB

Abstract

Between the 29th April and the 7th May 2009, OA East carried out an archaeological watching and recording brief at St Andrew's Church, High St, Oakington (TL 414 648). The monitoring was carried out during machine stripping of the graveyard burial soil in the area of the meeting room and the excavation of the main service trench. The final part of the watching brief too place in September as the service trench was excavated across the High St. The excavations for the meeting room and much of the service trench (eastern half) did not penetrate through the graveyard soils and therefore no archaeological features other than burials were seen. In the western part of the service trench, where it became deeper, three early ditches were recorded, oriented approximately northeast to southwest. The latest of these ditches is dated to the late 12th/early 13th centuries.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Early Medieval 410 - 1066 AD
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:1845
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:02 Sep 2014 11:40
Last Modified:02 Sep 2014 11:40

Repository Staff Only: item control page