OA Library

Land South of Cirencester Road Fairford Gloucestershire

Bashford, Robin Land South of Cirencester Road Fairford Gloucestershire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
FACS13_PdfA.pdf

6MB

Abstract

In September 2013, Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out a field evaluation at Land South of Cirencester Road, Fairford, Gloucestershire (centred on SP 14560 00600). The investigation followed a magnetometer survey which had identified various pitlike and linear magnetic anomalies. Several possible postholes were recorded, predominantly in the south-east corner of the site but also in the north-east corner. Most of these features were fairly slight, and no obvious structural forms were discernible within the confines of the trenches. With the exception of a single abraded sherd of late prehistoric pottery, none of them produced any artefactual material. Four probable sunken-featured buildings were identified - also in the south-east corner of the site - all of which had previously been identified as anomalies by the geophysical survey, and two of which had been interpreted as possible SFBs. Early Anglo-Saxon pottery was recovered from three of these, providing further evidence for the extensive settlement previously identified at Horcott Quarry to the south, and Pip's Field to the north. Animal bone was also recovered from two of these features. Several linear features were recorded, two of which were undated. A linear anomaly identified on the geophysical survey corresponded with a ditch, found in two of the trenches in the south-east corner of the site. On the basis of a single sherd of pottery, the ditch is most likely to be of post-medieval date, although there was some suggestion that it may be earlier in origin. Various other post-medieval ditches were also recorded which correspond to field boundaries shown on 19th and 20th century OS maps. The evaluation revealed a number of geological variations, including outcrops of natural clay to the north and west of the site, overlain by terrace gravels. The interface between these two types of geological deposit was characterised by spreads of orange brown sandy clay, which appear to be geological in origin. Some of these features coincided with geophysical anomalies identified by the magnetometer survey.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:1855
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:03 Sep 2014 07:30
Last Modified:03 Sep 2014 07:30

Repository Staff Only: item control page