OA Library

Archaeological Excavation on the site of the Bell Public House, Eaton Socon

Fairbairn, James (2009) Archaeological Excavation on the site of the Bell Public House, Eaton Socon. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
report1074_LR_1.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike.

608kB

Abstract

An archaeological excavation was conducted on land formally occupied by the Bell public house, Eaton Socon. St Neots. (TL 1691 5813) This was following an archaeological evaluation carried out by Oxford Archaeology East in October 2008. The Archaeological excavation was carried out after the demolition of the Bell, but not before the steel structure and footings of the new drive through take away had been constructed. The erection of the sub structure and digging of footings along with associated drainage had a detrimental effect on the excavation process and its subsequent findings. Oxford Archaeology East was commissioned by the client Bell Cornwell Associates to excavate an area of approximately 920sqm, this was in effect reduced to an area of 352sqm a loss of 568sqm. The excavation revealed features dating to three phases of activity. The earliest phase consisted of two shallow Neolithic ditches. The second phase predominately dated to the mid 1st to later 3rd/4th centuries and consisted of ditches and pits thought to be part of the wider Romano-British agricultural estate identified in previous excavations to the North and West. The latest phase of activity on the site dated to the modern period and was associated with the Bell Public house and its outlying ancillary buildings.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:1877
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:04 Sep 2014 07:59
Last Modified:04 Sep 2014 07:59

Repository Staff Only: item control page