OA Library

Land at Station Road, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire

Clarke, Rachel (2010) Land at Station Road, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report 1215_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

6MB

Abstract

The study area is located within a Conservation Area on the fringe of the historic core of the village, c.0.5km to the east of the church and c.140m to the north-west of the manor house known as The Burystead. The manor was formerly part of the holdings of Ely Cathedral but passed into private ownership in the early 1600s when the Burystead, a Grade II* listed building, was constructed. In the 19th century the manor, including the study area, was in the ownership of Lady Pell, who at Enclosure was one of the two largest landowners in the parish. The proximity of the site to three listed buildings of 17th century date (the manor house and two associated barns) is worthy of note, especially as one of the barns is immediately adjacent to the proposed development. Although there are no known cropmarks or earthworks recorded within the current site, possible earthworks were noted within the tree belt at the east of the study area and may warrant further investigation in advance of construction of the access road.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:1909
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:04 Sep 2014 13:23
Last Modified:04 Sep 2014 13:23

Repository Staff Only: item control page