OA Library

A Roman Boundary Ditch and Medieval Building At The Old Rectory, Great Casterton

Henley, Sarah (2012) A Roman Boundary Ditch and Medieval Building At The Old Rectory, Great Casterton. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
XLEORG12_Report_1366_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

On the 12th and 13th of April 2012 OA East undertook the machine excavation of ten metres of evaluation trenching in advance of the proposed construction of an extension to the Old Rectory in Great Casterton. The evaluation trench revealed evidence of a significant ditch, possibly the boundary to the Roman town. Overlying the ditch was a stratified sequence of walls and floor surfaces which continued beyond the limit of excavation toward the Old Rectory itself. These deposits were sealed by demolition layers containing medieval pottery, indicating a significant sequence of settlement activity prior to the construction of the current Rectory.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Leicestershire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:2013
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:29 Sep 2014 13:54
Last Modified:29 Sep 2014 13:54

Repository Staff Only: item control page