OA Library

Medieval Remains on Land North of Manor Road, Brandon, Suffolk

Stocks-Morgan, Helen (2013) Medieval Remains on Land North of Manor Road, Brandon, Suffolk. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

An archaeological evaluation was carried out on land north of Manor Road, Brandon, Suffolk (TL 7757 8614). The fieldwork took place between the 19/8/13 and 22/8/13. A total of ten trenches were excavated within the proposed development area. Ditches dating to the medieval period were encountered across the whole site. Occupation-type remains were concentrated in the south-western part, with a smaller, and perhaps Late Saxon group of remains in the north-western part. The many ditches recorded on the site have been grouped into into four putative phases, the first of which is represented by curvilinear ditches of small dimensions which constitute discrete enclosures rather than one aligned system, that are scattered across the whole site but which are perhaps only associated with occupation in the extreme north and south. The second putative phase of boundaries identified on the site comprise a rectilinear field system laid out on a NNW to SSE alignment across the whole of the western half of the site. At some point from perhaps the 12th century onwards the southern and western parts of the site were subjected to major land re-organisation in the form of the laying out of a dense system of large and small boundaries. The final pre-modern phase of reorganisation on the site are north-south and east-west aligned ditches that appear to constitute a rectilinear field system.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Suffolk
Period > UK Periods > Early Medieval 410 - 1066 AD
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:2050
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:03 Oct 2014 15:06
Last Modified:03 Oct 2014 15:06

Repository Staff Only: item control page