OA Library

Vrow Walk Carpark Extension, Hampton Court Palace

Leader, Paul Vrow Walk Carpark Extension, Hampton Court Palace. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
HCP85.pdfa.pdf

4MB

Abstract

During December 2011 and January 2012 Oxford Archaeology carried out a watching brief during works at Vrow Walk, Hampton Court Palace. The work was commissioned by Historic Royal Palaces in order to create a new exit from the upper car park to Hampton Court Road. The groundwork comprised ground reduction throughout the area and excavation of service trenches. Rubble deposits probably pertaining to the use or clearance of Henry VIII's Tiltyard were revealed in several foundation trenches and were overlain by garden soils that probably date from the use of the area as kitchen gardens from the late 17th century. The existing 19th century wall that delimits the southern extent of the garden was shown to be have been founded upon an earlier wall of late 17th or 18th century date. A small rectangular structure that was found extending back from the existing Vrow Walk Gateway may date to the early 20th century, when the area was used as a pleasure garden.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Primary Archives
Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2103
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Oct 2014 10:57
Last Modified:16 Oct 2014 10:57

Repository Staff Only: item control page