OA Library

The Lumley Chapel Cheam South London

Simons, Edmund The Lumley Chapel Cheam South London. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CHDUN02.pdfA.pdf

3MB

Abstract

During 2002 and 2003 Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out archaeological recording and historical analysis of Lumley Chapel, Cheam. This small chapel is all that remains of a once far larger church which was largely demolished and replaced in the 19th century. The recording was necessitated by the need for repairs to the roof, the replacement of areas of mortar on the exterior walls and some restoration of brick and stonework. In 2003 a programme of work was initiated which saw the refurbishment of the family tombs within the chapel. During the work the roof was successfully dated by dendrochronlogy and a number of new features were revealed. Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the restorations was the retrieval of some fine painted glass and stone tracery which had been incorporated into the fabric of the chapel. Although the investigation was undertaken in 2002-3 and a draft report was issued to the client a final report was not produced. The current document is therefore a slightly updated report produced to accompany the project archive.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Surrey
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2508
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:29 May 2015 12:47
Last Modified:29 May 2015 12:47

Repository Staff Only: item control page