OA Library

The former service station site at the south end of Huntingdon Road, Cambridge

Phillips, Tom (2013) The former service station site at the south end of Huntingdon Road, Cambridge. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
Report 1490_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

4MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology East were commissioned by Olympia Homes to carry out a desk-based assessment for the site of a former service station at the south end of Huntingdon Road, Cambridge, at the junction with Histon Road. The Roman town was located on a hill north of the river Cam, its north and south extent matching that of modern day Castle Hill. This defensive position, commanding an important river crossing, was already a settlement in the Late Iron Age, evidenced by remains on Castle Hill and at New Hall College. The Late Iron Age settlement on Castle Street was superseded by an Early Roman settlement. The settlement developed in to a small town, Duroliponte, which continued in use throughout the Roman period. In the 4th century it was considered important enough to be fortified with a large ditch, bank and stone wall. Following the end of Roman administration there is little evidence of Early Anglo-Saxon activity near to the subject site. It is likely that an 8th century burh was established north of the Cam by the Mercian king, Offa, although archaeological evidence is again rare. It is possible that an extra-mural market associated with the burh was located outside of the northern gate, in the vicinity of the development area. There is unlikely to have been any major land-use on the site in the medieval period as it is located beyond the limits of the medieval town. Cartographic evidence shows that in the post-medieval period the site was agricultural in use. Notably, a Toll gate or house was located at the southern end of the development area between c. 1750 and 1852. In the later 19th century several residential buildings occupied the plot and in the second half of the 20th century the site was in use as a garage and subsequently a petrol station.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords:desk-based assessment, Cambridge
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:2553
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:10 Aug 2015 13:57
Last Modified:10 Aug 2015 13:57

Repository Staff Only: item control page