OA Library

From Stadium to Station: Rewley Abbey and Rewley Road Station, Oxford

Munby, Julian and Simmonds, Andy and Tyler, Ric and Wilkinson, David (2007) From Stadium to Station: Rewley Abbey and Rewley Road Station, Oxford. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. ISBN 978-0-904220-40-7

[img]
Preview
PDF
Rewley_Abbey.pdf

13MB

Abstract

This report presents the results of over 40 years of excavation, historic building survey and documentary research that have been carried out by Oxford Archae- ology and others at the site of the Cistercian house of Rewley, a chantry founded in 1281. It became an abbey and studium providing accommodation for monks studying at the university, and can therefore claim to be one of Oxford’s earliest colleges. The railway station that subsequently occupied the site in 1851 followed the design of the Crystal Palace, built for the Great Exhibi- tion, and was the last surviving representative of that internationally important building.

Item Type:Book
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:262
Deposited By: Joseph Reeves
Deposited On:29 Nov 2010 18:19
Last Modified:22 Dec 2011 14:30

Repository Staff Only: item control page