OA Library

The ‘George and Dragon’ and Village Hall sites, Fritwell

Sims, Mike The ‘George and Dragon’ and Village Hall sites, Fritwell. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
FRGD15_PdfA.pdf

1MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology (OA) was commissioned to undertake an archaeological trench evaluation of two adjacent plots of land in Fritwell, Oxfordshire, comprising the village hall (SP 52829 29338) and the George and Dragon public house (SP 52833 29237). In total six narrow trenches were excavated, three in the car park of the George and Dragon public house and three in the grounds of the village hall. Archaeological traces were encountered only in Trench 4 and Trench 6, close to the village hall. Two shallow ditches on a north-south alignment were exposed in Trench 4 and three ditches on a broadly similar alignment and one on a slight curve, were found in Trench 6. An iron arrowhead of 13th – 14th century date was recovered from the lower fill of ditch 407 in trench four, and pottery dated to between 900 and 1300 was present in the fills of the three ditches in Trench 6, indicating that all of the ditches, which were probably field ditches or drains, were filling during the medieval period.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:2628
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:26 Oct 2015 13:56
Last Modified:26 Oct 2015 13:56

Repository Staff Only: item control page