OA Library

Turf Tavern Oxford

Bashford, Robin Turf Tavern Oxford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXTAV14_pdfA.pdf

3MB

Abstract

In July 2014, Oxford Archaeology (OA) was commissioned by ADS Design to undertake an archaeological evaluation at The Turf Tavern, Oxford (SP 517 065). The evaluation comprised three small trenches, two of which were excavated against the northern wall of the terrace garden to the rear (east) of the property, and one against the eastern wall of the same area. The northern wall is on the projected line of an abortive late 13th century attempt to apply the principles of concentric castle architecture to the north-eastern corner of the defences of Oxford - with an outer curtain wall being constructed along the inner edge of the partially backfilled City ditch which then appears to have been re-cut further to the north and east. The evaluation revealed evidence for a substantial earlier wall on the same line as the existing wall of the terrace garden. This may either represent the late-13th century outer curtain wall itself, or a later wall built off it. There was also evidence that a section of this wall had been re-built during a re-configuration of the garden in the 19th century.The earliest deposit encountered was within a series of augered boreholes in the base of the trenches adjacent to the north wall, and this was fairly consistent in composition in both. Given that the boreholes penetrated below the anticipated elevation of the natural gravel, it seems likely that this deposit was filling a negative feature and if - as the similarity in composition would suggest - the deposits within the boreholes are of the same origin, this may indicate that the feature was linear. It is possible that this feature represents the construction cut for the outer curtain wall although - as indicated above - other excavations along the line of the wall would suggest that it was constructed within the southern edge of the earlier ditch. It is therefore possible that the deposits encountered within the boreholes represent backfill along the edge of, and within, the City ditch, which has then been re-cut to the north following the construction of the outer curtain wall in the late-13th century. However, the relationship between this possible feature and the structural remains within the trenches against the northern wall of the terrace garden was uncertain, and further characterisation of the possible feature or close dating of the structures was not possible within the confines of the trenches. Some evidence was recovered for an earlier courtyard surface overlying this deposit. The surface comprised limestone 'cobbles' and a linear configuration of kerb stones marking its northern extent. Overlying this surface, the majority of the deposits excavated within the trenches strongly suggested that the creation of the existing terrace was the result of a phase of landscaping in the 19th century. Some evidence was recovered for a possible brick surface

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
ID Code:2700
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:08 Jan 2016 10:11
Last Modified:08 Jan 2016 10:11

Repository Staff Only: item control page