OA Library

The Bricklayers Arms, Station Road, Whittlesey

Graham, Steven (2015) The Bricklayers Arms, Station Road, Whittlesey. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology Ltd., Bar Hill. (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
WHSBLA15_Report_1762_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

Between the 31st March 2015 and the 7th April 2015, Oxford Archaeology East conducted an archaeological evaluation consisting of four trial trenches on land to the rear of the Bricklayer's Arms Public House, 9 Station Road, Whittlesey (NGR: 527168, 296841). The northern half of the site consisted of a series of hollows which were most likely of natural origin and a pit containing modern backfill. The southern half of the site was situated on an island of river terrace sand and gravels. Its eastern edge was bounded by one, possibly two ditches. Within the southern half of the site there was a series of intercutting pits all possessing a uniform depth, profile and width. The pits contained a small amount of medieval pottery but the majority of the finds were post-medieval in date. These were most likely quarry pits for the extraction of sand and gravel, possibly of a medieval date but this could not be proven.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Uncontrolled Keywords:archaeological evaluation, cambridgeshire, whittlesey, former pub, post medieval, pottery, diut
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2783
Deposited By: Chris Faine
Deposited On:31 Mar 2016 13:27
Last Modified:31 Mar 2016 13:27

Repository Staff Only: item control page