OA Library

Osney Mirco-Hydro Scheme Oxford

Sims, Mike Osney Mirco-Hydro Scheme Oxford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXOSMH13_PdfA.pdf

4MB

Abstract

In June and July 2013 Oxford Archaeology undertook an archaeological watching brief during the installation of a low head turbine at Osney Lock, Oxford (NGR: SP 50305 05923. The watching brief observed a succession of deposits of post-medieval made ground forming an island between Osney lock and the weir controlling the level of the River Thames. All the deposits date from the late 18th/early 19th century onwards and were probably laid down during the construction of the first Osney Lock in 1790 and during subsequent work. No evidence for the old fishweir associated with Osney Abbey or for any other earlier water management structures was observed. As part of the work a photographic record and written description of the weir gates (“Weir B”) immediately west of the development was undertaken prior to their replacement.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2830
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:10 May 2016 11:21
Last Modified:10 May 2016 11:21

Repository Staff Only: item control page