OA Library

Land at Bond's Mill, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire

OAU, OAU Land at Bond's Mill, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
STBOMI97_Pdfa.pdf

4MB

Abstract

The Oxford Archaeological Unit (OAU) undertook an archaeological field evaluation in advance of development on an area of land north of Bond's Mill, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. The evaluation was carried out in August 1997. Fifteen trenches were archaeologically excavated. The majority of the trenches contained no archaeological features, although a number of treeholes were recorded in some of these trenches. All trenches revealed that the site had been cultivated since the medieval period using the technique of ridge and furrow. Cut features containing bricks of 18th to 19th century date were observed in one trench, and a field boundary of comparable date recorded in the north-west corner of the site. Modern postholes were observed in one trench. A large gravel extraction pit which had been infilled in the late post-medieval period, was located towards the centre of the site. Few artefacts of any date were recovered from the evaluation trenches and the overall lack of archaeological features suggests that the site has been historically used for agricultural purposes rather than for settlement. This report describes the results of the fieldwork.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:2950
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:18 Nov 2016 09:39
Last Modified:18 Nov 2016 09:39

Repository Staff Only: item control page