OA Library

School End Farm, Great Horwood

Warner, Angela School End Farm, Great Horwood. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
GHSEF16_PdfA.pdf

10MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology was commissioned to carry out historic building recording on a barn in the curtilage of Grade II Listed School End Farmhouse ahead of demolition, followed by an archaeological watching brief during the excavation of the foundations of a replacement building to the north east of the barn. According to the map evidence, the barn was constructed between 1842 and 1880. It may have been constructed re-using the elm tie-beams from a building of half its width, or it was doubled in width before 1880 and a brick wall constructed along the centre of the building to support the beams. At some point in the early to mid 20th century it received a new roof, and the slates, which may have already been in at least their second phase of use, were refitted. Throughout the run of the available maps of 1842 onwards, no buildings are shown on the piece of land on which the replacement building is to be constructed. During the watching brief on the excavation of the foundation trenches, a possible undated posthole was found along with a pit filled with early 20th-century domestic rubbish. It was also observed that a building referred to in the planning permission documents as being related to Second World War activities was likely to be the remains of a greenhouse.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Buckinghamshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3128
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:07 Feb 2017 16:02
Last Modified:07 Feb 2017 16:02

Repository Staff Only: item control page