OA Library

St Mary’s Church Aldworth West Berkshire

Sims, Mike St Mary’s Church Aldworth West Berkshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
ALMARY12_pdfA.pdf

1MB

Abstract

Between October 2012 and March 2013, Oxford Archaeology carried out an archaeological watching brief at St Mary's Church, Aldsworth, West Berkshire (SU 554 793). The work was carried out on behalf of the Parochial Church Council during the construction of a new kitchen and cloakroom attached on the north side of the church, and associated works for a service trench, soakaway pit and a septic tank. The watching brief observed a number of burials adjacent to the north wall of the nave. Dates could not be assigned to the burials, except for one which contained 18th/19th century coffin fittings. A fallen headstone, probably relating to this burial, was recovered from below the present day turf line. Excavations for the associated works showed that the southern and south-west edges of the churchyard had not been ultilised for burials. Deep deposits of soil, including construction debris and colluvium, were observed overlying the natural chalk. No evidence relating to any of the earlier phases of the church's construction was encountered. ©

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3256
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:11 Jul 2017 11:52
Last Modified:11 Jul 2017 11:52

Repository Staff Only: item control page