OA Library

Former Riding School (ASU Building) Queen Elizabeth Barracks Church Crookham Hampshire

Gill, Jonathan Former Riding School (ASU Building) Queen Elizabeth Barracks Church Crookham Hampshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
A2014-30_Report.pdf

4MB

Abstract

The former Riding School (the ASU Building) at the Queen Elizabeth Barracks in Church Crookham, Hampshire is an interesting and impressive building constructed at the turn of the 20th century as part of the Royal Field Artillery's newly-built Leipzig Barracks. In the First World War these barracks were used by members of the armed forces from New Zealand including an artillery regiment and the New Zealand medical corps. In 1938-9 the Boyce Barracks were constructed nearby and in 1948 they were renamed the Queen Elizabeth Barracks. In the post-World War II period the main Leipzig Barracks were demolished but the Riding School building was retained and apparently incorporated into the Queen Elizabeth Barracks. The building was converted to a new use as a store or warehouse, probably when it became part of the Queen Elizabeth Barracks but potentially before. Oxford Archaeology has been commissioned by Taylor Wimpey (West London) to undertake a programme of historic building recording on the former Riding School prior to its potential alteration, conversion or development. The building has been significantly altered since its original construction through its change of use as a store building and through the partial subdivision of the interior but it is still possible to gain a good sense of the original form of the building. The exterior remains relatively close to its primary form with the original high band of windows set between regular piers, extensive glazing to the end gables, with slat vents, and a ventilation louvre along the main ridge of the building. The main changes to the exterior have been the insertion of loading doors and the addition of a pentice roof at the east end. The primary metal roof trusses are visible from the ground and there are various other original features such as sliding doors. Another interesting feature is the upper storey at the west end which has been greatly altered but which would originally have been used by officers to observe the training and manoeuvres. Evidence of former use (albeit probably a secondary use from the mid 20th century) can be seen in a number of pads on the floor which may have been for free-standing stoves

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Hampshire
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
ID Code:3277
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:22 Aug 2017 11:24
Last Modified:22 Aug 2017 11:24

Repository Staff Only: item control page