OA Library

St Laurence's Church Appleton Oxfordshire

Witkin, Annsofie St Laurence's Church Appleton Oxfordshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
APPLAU02.pdf

3MB

Abstract

In July, August and September 2002 Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief and a recording programme at the church of St Laurence, Appleton, Oxfordshire (NGR SP 445 015). The work was commissioned by McBains Cooper on behalf of the Parochial Church Council in advance of the construction of a new extension on the side of the church and installation of a new floor and underfloor heating. The foundation walls of an earlier, smaller church were discovered within the nave. The earlier church had a doorway in the western wall. The church was extended eastwards in the late 12th or early 13th century and some of the contemporary column bases reused the earlier wall as foundation blocks. The western wall, beneath the later blocked arch also had a doorway possibly leading to an earlier tower. Twenty-two earth-cut graves were located within this area. Most were orientated west-east but four were orientated north-south. Some graves in the western end may be contemporary with the early church whereas some of the graves in the eastern end are clearly post-medieval. Four earth-cut graves and ten brick-lined vaults were present in the north aisle. The earth-cut graves had been truncated by the widening of the aisle in the 17th century or by the 18th- and 19th-century vaults. Five of the vaults were flat-topped. The barrel-vaulting had been removed when the floor was lowered in 1883. Inscriptions from memorial slabs indicated that the individuals in the brick-lined vaults almost certainly all belong to the Sellwood family.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3473
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:12 Feb 2018 12:10
Last Modified:12 Feb 2018 12:10

Repository Staff Only: item control page