OA Library

Snowdown Colliery, Kent Historic Building Assessment and Recording

Underdown, Simon Snowdown Colliery, Kent Historic Building Assessment and Recording. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
AYSNCO05_Building_Survey.pdf

14MB

Abstract

In November 2005, Oxford Archaeology carried out a programme of building assessment and recording at Snowdown Colliery, Kent, in advance of redevelopment likely involving demolition of the former colliery buildings. The colliery was started in 1907 and finally closed in 1988, and is the last of the former Kent coalmines with a significant number of surviving buildings. There are two buildings including some major extensions surviving. The majority were built in brick with steel roof trusses; some of the larger buildings have girder frames incorporated into the brickworks. Some have developed serious structural defects.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Kent
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
ID Code:3489
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:02 Mar 2018 10:08
Last Modified:02 Mar 2018 10:17

Repository Staff Only: item control page