OA Library

Old Cloisters Building Brasenose College Oxford

Hughes, Vix Old Cloisters Building Brasenose College Oxford. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
OXBCL13_pdfA.pdf

12MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology South (OAS) carried out an evaluation on the site of a proposed refurbishment at the Old Cloisters, Brasenose College, Oxford (centred on SP 515 063). The investigation was not subject to local authority planning regulations at this time but was carried out under the Diocese jurisdiction and planning control. The work took place between 12th -13th November and 5th December 2013. A total of four trenches were excavated. The earliest dated deposit sequences contained pottery in use between 1550-1650 and survived as islands of strata left intact between late 17th and 18th century graves. These deposits were a (upto) 400 mm thick sequence of mortar floors interleaved with silts which overlaid an undated homogeneous garden soil. The main Quadrangle at Brasenose was built in the 16th century with the Second Quadrangle construction beginning in 1656. The mortar deposits represent a building or buildings between these two construction phases. A total of five separate graves were located, but not excavated, within the evaluation trenches. The graves and marker stones largely corresponded with an historic plan of the interments, although one marker stone was revealed to have no grave beneath it. The graves are undergoing gradual post-depositional decay and consequently it was observed that there are significant below ground voids where coffins have disintegrated but the spaces have not infilled with surrounding material.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3518
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:28 Mar 2018 09:35
Last Modified:28 Mar 2018 09:35

Repository Staff Only: item control page