OA Library

Parish Church of St. Mary, Sulhamstead Abbots, West Berkshire

Hiller, Jon Parish Church of St. Mary, Sulhamstead Abbots, West Berkshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
SUSTM99.pdf

5MB

Abstract

The OAU undertook an archaeological field evaluation at the Parish Church of ST. Mary, Sulhamstead Abbots, West Berkshire in May 1999, on behalf of The Whiteley & Beach Partnership, Chartered Architects of Theale, Reading. The evaluation was commissioned as part of a conditional planning permission in advance of the construction of anew parish room in the churchyard, to the north-west of the church. Two test pits were excavated within the area of the footprint of the proposed building: four graves were revealed in Test Pit 1 and a single grave found in Test Pit 2. Articulated human remains were uncovered c 1 m below the present ground level in two of the graves within Test Pit 1. The graves were undated, but are likely to be of post-medieval date. No other archaeological features or deposits were observed during the excavation.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3670
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:01 Jun 2018 12:12
Last Modified:01 Jun 2018 12:12

Repository Staff Only: item control page