OA Library

Quakers Friars, North Bristol, Broadmead, Archaeological Evaluation Report

Thacker, Gerry Quakers Friars, North Bristol, Broadmead, Archaeological Evaluation Report. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
BRSMG_2005_72.pdf

41MB

Abstract

Between September and November 2005 Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out a field evaluation across part of the proposed Broadmead development in Bristol, comprising the northern part of the Quakers friars site NGR (ST 59249 73338). The work primarily comprised the excavation of the two machine and hand-dug trial trenches but also included the monitoring of three services identification trenches intended to locate existing services. This report presents the results of that work. The Study Area lies outside the medieval core of Bristol on its eastern edge, just to the north of the castle site, and to the north of the River Frome. Desk-based assessment and previous evaluation had already indicated the site of the 13th century Dominican Priory, parts of which still survive as standing buildings. The purpose of the work reported on here was to further characterise the location, condition and significance of archaeological remains across the development area to provide sufficient data for the design and implementation of mitigation proposals, to be agreed between the City Council and the Developers. The evaluation trenches revealed that walls belonging to the Friary buildings survived in places below ground level, as did related deposits such as floor layers and levelling episodes. Evidence was uncovered indicating that the Friary buildings were re-modelled during in the mid-12 to 14th centuries and that they were also re-used after the Dissolution. The locations of an 18th century sugar factory and a 19th century school were also confirmed.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > City of Bristol
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3712
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:05 Jun 2018 14:11
Last Modified:05 Jun 2018 14:11

Repository Staff Only: item control page