OA Library

Abingdon Vineyard Redevelopment. Archaeological Assessment 1988. Area 5: The Church Hall, Council Parks Department, Cattle Market & Buildings to the North of the Cattle Market.

Chambers, Richard Abingdon Vineyard Redevelopment. Archaeological Assessment 1988. Area 5: The Church Hall, Council Parks Department, Cattle Market & Buildings to the North of the Cattle Market. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
ABVR 87-91.pdf

5MB

Abstract

The western part of Area 5 contains Iron Age settlement features including storage pits. Occupation continued into the Roman period when part of the area was used for an inhumation cemetery. North and south of the cemetery occupation appears to have continued throughout the Roman period. Area 5 lies within the area occupied by the abbey and overlies the western part of the extensive lay cemetery which was the principle cemetery for the medieval town. The area could contain part of the 7th century monastery which holds a position of prime importance in the history of English church.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Early Medieval 410 - 1066 AD
Period > UK Periods > Iron Age 800 BC - 43 AD
Period > UK Periods > Roman 43 - 410 AD
ID Code:3968
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:29 Jun 2018 14:42
Last Modified:29 Jun 2018 14:42

Repository Staff Only: item control page