OA Library

Ely Cathedral Precincts: The North Range Archaeological Excavations 1987.

Holton-Krayenbuhl, Anne and Cocke, Thomas and Malim, Tim Ely Cathedral Precincts: The North Range Archaeological Excavations 1987. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CCCAFU_report005.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

36MB

Abstract

In 1987 excavations were carried out at the site of the old Sacristry buildings, which are situated to the north of Ely Cathedral, and form the southern frontage of the High Street. The Northern Range consists of a group of buildings with the Goldsmith's Tower at their western extremity, and continuing on eastwards: the Old Choir School, Ely Museum and the Sacrist's Gate. The excavations have provided evidence for an earlier northern boundary between the town of Ely and the monastic precinct. The buildings are either Medieval in date or Victorian incorporating reused medieval masonry.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:Cambridgeshire, Ely, Ely Cathedral, The Northern Range, Goldsmith's Tower, the Old Choir School, Ely Museum, Sacrist's Gate, Monastic Precinct, Medieval, Victorian, post-Medieval,
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:3976
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:18 Jul 2018 12:47
Last Modified:18 Jul 2018 12:47

Repository Staff Only: item control page