OA Library

All Saints Vestry Kingston Upon Thames

Kelly, Alison All Saints Vestry Kingston Upon Thames. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
ASI06.pdf

2MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out building investigation and recording on the vestry at All Saints Church, Kingston upon Thames on behalf of the Rector, Revd. Jonathan Wilkes. The survey took place prior to restoration work on the vestry, which is part of an ongoing project of restoration on the church. The investigation consisted of the photographic recording and analysis of the stone fabric forming the vestry, which is situated in the north eastern corner of the church. The vestry was probably built after the construction of the adjacent Holy Trinity Chapel in 1477 and most likely dates to the early 16th century. Later changes to the vestry include the insertion of a doorway in the east elevation and the realignment of the roof to allow light through an early perpendicular window which had been rendered over as part of 18th century works. There is also evidence for various small repairs including the insertion of drainholes, the addition and subsequent removal of a chimney and the replacement of damaged stones. Examination of the stonework showed that many stones were primary and, because of weathering, were in a fragile state. Photographs of both elevations with the phases clearly marked were produced as well as a photographic archive of the stones to be replaced during restoration.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4138
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:06 Aug 2018 15:27
Last Modified:06 Aug 2018 15:27

Repository Staff Only: item control page