OA Library

Archaeological Investigations at Witchford Road, Ely

Welsh, K. (1994) Archaeological Investigations at Witchford Road, Ely. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CCCAFU_reportA29.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

3MB

Abstract

During February, 1994, the Archaeological Field Unit of Cambridgeshire County Council carried out an archaeological assessment on and between Witchford Road, St Johns Road, and the A10 bypass, on the south-western outskirts of Ely (TL 527 796). The work was undertaken at the request of Abbey Developments Ltd as part of the planning consent for the site. In the absence of any known archaeological finds, a grid of thirty-eight test pits was excavated by machine in an attempt to obtain a representative sample of the site. No archaeological features pre-dating the 18th century were found. However, evidence of 18th or 19th century gravel excavation was recorded in the southern part of the site. A small number of shallow drainage ditches and ceramic field drains (probably dating to the 19th century) were also present in all parts of the site.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4260
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:15 Oct 2018 20:29
Last Modified:15 Oct 2018 20:30

Repository Staff Only: item control page