OA Library

An Archaeological Evaluation at East Street, St Ives

Oakey, N. (1995) An Archaeological Evaluation at East Street, St Ives. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CCCAFU_reportA70.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

3MB

Abstract

In August 1995 the Archaeological Field Unit of Cambridgeshire County Council carried out an evaluation of a site behind 6-8 East Street, St Ives (TL 312/715). This was commissioned by Bedfordshire Pilgrims Housing Association in advance of a proposed housing development. Sample trenches revealed no evidence of prehistoric and Romano-British activity on the site and they confirmed that it lay beyond the limits of the medieval settlement of St Ives. A survey dating from 1728 showed the evaluation site as orchard and excavation appeared to confirm this, but an unrecorded pond or quarry was also found. This was backfilled in the later 18th century and much of the site has since been employed for horticulture/agriculture and dumping of rubbish, probably deriving from surrounding properties on East Street and Carlisle Terrace. Small sherds were present on part of the site in the 19th century and garages replaced them in the 20th century.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:A70, archaeological evaluation, East Street, east street, St Ives, st ives, Cambridgeshire, cambridgeshire, orchard, pond, quarry, sherd, pot, pottery, Modern, Post-medieval pottery, post-medieval, post medieval, alluvium, pit, medieval pottery, animal remains, animal bone, bone, brick, posthole, post hole, glass, bottle, a70, report a70, report A70, Report A70, Report a70, CCCAFU report A70
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4301
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:22 Oct 2018 18:54
Last Modified:22 Oct 2018 18:54

Repository Staff Only: item control page