OA Library

Late Saxon and Medieval Features at Chapel Street, Ely. An Archaeological Evaluation of the Old Health Centre

Hinman, Mark (1996) Late Saxon and Medieval Features at Chapel Street, Ely. An Archaeological Evaluation of the Old Health Centre. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CCCAFU_reportA86.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

1MB

Abstract

Between the 22nd and 24th April 1996 the Archaeological Field Unit of Cambridgeshire County Council undertook the preliminary evaluation of the site of an Old Health Centre (TL 5390 8046) situated on the south side of Chapel Street, Ely. The evaluation was commissioned by Anchorpoint Builders Ltd and the NHS Executive (Anglia & Oxford). Two archaeological test pits were excavated on the street frontage. Excavation revealed the remains of two Late Saxon (900-1150) rubbish pits sealed by early fourteenth century deposits in addition to an early medieval quarry pit containing a high level of residual Saxon material.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:A86, Old Health Centre, Chapel Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, archaeological evaluation, test pit, medieval, quarry, pit, pottery, pot, sherd, ceramics, Late Saxon, medieval, post-medieval, foundation, wall, outhouse, Thetford Ware, St Neots Ware, a86, report a86, report A86, quarry pit
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4327
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:24 Sep 2018 20:11
Last Modified:24 Sep 2018 20:11

Repository Staff Only: item control page