OA Library

Witcham Road, Mepal: An Archaeological Evaluation

Bray, Simon (1997) Witcham Road, Mepal: An Archaeological Evaluation. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img]
Preview
PDF
CCCAFU_reportA115.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

686kB

Abstract

Between the 2nd and 4th June 1997, the Archaeological Field Unit of Cambridgeshire County Council undertook an archaeological assessment and earthwork survey on 2.5 acres of pasture land located on the southern edge of Mepal village (TL 445/806). Faint traces of ridge and furrow survive on the southern part of the site. The work was commissioned by Construct Reason Ltd. as part of the planning process, before development for housing. Located on the southern fen-edge of the Isle of Ely, the site is immediately outside the present town. The medieval town is known to have developed further inland during the 13th century. Its shift in position was caused by a devastating fire in the 1860s. The work revealed no archaeological activity other than 17th century field drains. These results concur with documentary research which indicates that by 1851 the site formed part of the rector’s garden, before which it is probable that the site formed part of the open field system.

Item Type:Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords:archaeological evaluation, evaluation, mepal, Mepal, Cambridgeshire, cambridgeshire, earthwork survey, ridge and furrow, furrow, isle of ely, Isle of Ely, field system, agriculture, field drain, 17th century, post-medieval, garden, rectory, pasture, fen edge, fen-edge, marginal, marginal land, A115, a115, report a115, report A115, Report A115
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cambridgeshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4357
Deposited By: Archives
Deposited On:02 Oct 2018 17:02
Last Modified:02 Oct 2018 17:02

Repository Staff Only: item control page