OA Library

Dairy Farm, Shepperdine South Gloucestershire

Forde, Deirdre Dairy Farm, Shepperdine South Gloucestershire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
BRSMG_2017_129_Dairy_Farm.pdf

15MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology (OA) was commissioned by Horizon Nuclear Power to undertake recording and historical architectural investigation of the standing buildings at the site of Dairy Farm in Shepperdine, South Gloucestershire, prior to renovation of the property. The recording encompassed all of the structures associated with the farm complex comprising: the large two-storey farmhouse, two adjoining barns, an outhouse and shed arranged around the farmhouse, an enclosed walled farmyard with a dovecote and a cowshed, and additional animal shelters built onto the eastern side of the farmyard wall. Dairy Farmhouse is a large stone-built farmhouse with four principal rooms on its ground floor, comprising reception rooms to the front and service rooms to the rear, and six rooms on the first floor, some of which may be subdivided. The two large rooms on the ground and first floor of the north-east corner (rear) of the house show evidence that these areas were used for industrial purposes, likely a processing area for goods produced on the farm. The name suggests that dairy products were produced at the farm, so perhaps it was an area for cheese processing and storage. The annexe on the west side of the building appears to have been used for storage purposes also. The buildings adjacent to the farmhouse and around the farmyard, for the most part, appear to have been used for the purposes of rearing livestock. Dairy farm first appears on the 1840 Tithe map and the subsequent OS maps show that the farm developed over the following decades, with the enlarging of the farmhouse in 1870 and the addition of various buildings around the farmyard. The historic arrangement of the 1870 farmhouse is remarkably well preserved with the survival of many architectural detailing and fixtures of significance such as the dresser in the pantry on the ground floor. The outbuildings also retain a high level of historic fabric, most notably, their masonry and roof structures, but the pantile roof coverings of both the farmhouse and farm buildings are modern replacements, in the regional style.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > South Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4425
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Oct 2018 11:28
Last Modified:16 Oct 2018 11:28

Repository Staff Only: item control page