OA Library

Jobsgreen Farm, Oldbury-upon-Severn South Gloucestershire

Forde, Deirdre Jobsgreen Farm, Oldbury-upon-Severn South Gloucestershire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
BRSMG_2017_129_Jobsgreen_Farm.pdf

14MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology (OA) was commissioned by Horizon Nuclear Power to undertake an archaeological investigation and recording of the standing buildings at the site of Jobsgreen Farm in Oldbury-upon-Severn, Gloucestershire, prior to renovation of the property. The buildings include the large two-storey farmhouse with an attic level, adjoining barns, and several outbuildings arranged around a farmyard. OA carried out a previous Historic Buildings Assessment of the farmhouse and farm buildings in 2009 (with the report being issued in 2010). This was prior to repairs undertaken principally to the roof structures to halt water ingress and decay of the buildings. The current report represents an updated and amended version of this in terms of building description, photographic record, and drawn record. The previous report is referred to in order to reflect changes to the site following the previous phase of repairs and renovation. Jobsgreen Farm and its immediate curtilage (including the garden wall) is a Grade II Listed Building. Other structures on the site are not included in the list description and appear not to fall within the curtilage of the listed building. Documentary research was previously undertaken as part of the 2009 investigation to determine the recent history of property ownership and has been included in this report. Examination of the farmhouse and attached barn shows that it was built in several phases, but mostly in the late 17th or early 18th-century. The house and kitchen were built around 1700, and the barn was added perhaps c 1750. The house has end stacks and a rear stair turret, and a roof with some interesting vernacular carpentry details. Other original fittings such as doors and some windows remain or have been replaced in the same design, but the fireplaces have been replaced. The later additions at the rear show variations in carpentry techniques of floors and roofing.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > South Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4426
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Oct 2018 11:32
Last Modified:16 Oct 2018 11:32

Repository Staff Only: item control page