OA Library

Shepperdine Farm, Shepperdine South Gloucestershire

Forde, Deirdre Shepperdine Farm, Shepperdine South Gloucestershire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
BRSMG_2017_129_Shepperdine_Farm.pdf

17MB

Abstract

Oxford Archaeology was commissioned by Horizon Nuclear Power to undertake an archaeological investigation and recording of the standing buildings at Shepperdine Farm in Shepperdine, South Gloucestershire, prior to renovation of the property. These include a large two-storey farmhouse with an attic level, barns, and several outbuildings arranged around the adjacent farmyard. The farmhouse has at least two phases of development and it is believed that the southern bay is a secondary addition to an 18th-century, two bay house. It appears to have been added in the 19th century with the interior arrangement of the house also being remodelled at this time creating the rear corridor on the ground floor and the hallway on the first floor. The staircase was almost certainly moved to its current position against the north gable of the house and its original position was probably around the large chimney stack situated between the original north and central bays. It is likely that much of the surviving architectural detailing throughout the house was added at this time. This includes the windows, architraves, skirting boards and some of the doors, although the simple plank and batten doors may have survived from the original arrangement. A notable feature of the house is the pantry on the ground floor, with its surviving fitted furniture. This also is likely to date to the 19th-century changes. The north extension is also likely to be a 19th-century addition but it is unknown if it was built before or after the alterations to the main farmhouse. The situation of the doorway into it from the rear corridor would suggest that it was built at the same time or at a later date. The kitchen is entirely modern but the scullery at the north end has surviving historic features. The shed is the earliest of the row of outbuildings to the north of the farmhouse, with the barn and stable built onto its eastern end at the later date. The equipment shed and animal shelters, the hay sheds, and the garage are built around earlier structures and, although they are not listed, they are moderately significant as part of the wider context of the farm.

Item Type:Client Report
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > South Gloucestershire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4427
Deposited By: Scott
Deposited On:16 Oct 2018 11:36
Last Modified:16 Oct 2018 11:36

Repository Staff Only: item control page