OA Library

Colby Flow Transfer Structure, Colby, Cumbria. Rapid desk-based Research.

Bullock, Vicki (2009) Colby Flow Transfer Structure, Colby, Cumbria. Rapid desk-based Research. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
ColbyFlowFullReport071009.pdf

13MB

Abstract

Following proposals by United Utilities for the construction of a flow transfer structure, from Colby Lane, Appleby (NY 368008 519797) to the junction at Colby House and Midtown Farm, Colby, Cumbria (NY 366535 520666), the Cumbria County Council Planning Archaeologist recommended that rapid archaeological deskbased research of the proposed development be undertaken. Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) was subsequently commissioned by United Utilities to undertakethis work. The study area is located in the village of Colby, Cumbria situated 2.7km to the west of Appleby-in-Westmorland. Colby, a medieval shrunken village (Site 02), was part of the parish of the Church of St Lawrence in Appleby and also a township of the same name. It was established during the eleventh century and is named after the family who owned the land from the mid-twelfth century to the end of the fourteenth century. The township formed a manor, which had been held by the Colby family. Colby Hall (Site 12) was the seat of the manor. In total, 18 sites of archaeological interest were identified within the study area during the desk-based research, nine of which had been previously identified on the HER. The sites comprised two sites of medieval date (Sites 02 and 09) including Colby medieval village and associated earthworks and a findspot of a medieval coin close to the perimeter of Appleby. There are ten sites of post-medieval date within the study area including a milestone (Site 10) and features associated with Colby Beck and the River Eden comprising fords (Sites 01 and 03), stepping stones (Sites 11 and 18), Colby Bridge (Site 05). Colby Corn Mill (Site 04) and Colby Hall (Site 12), in the centre of the village, are also of post-medieval date as is the farm and mill complex at Nether Hoff, although this may have late medieval origins (Sites 06 and 07). In addition, the single farm building in a field to the south of Colby Lane (Site 17) and the municipal boundary (Site 16) are also of post-medieval date, although the boundary may have a much a earlier origin. The remainder of the sites are either of the industrial period (Sites 13, 14 and 15) and include a short-lived quarry, a smithy and a Methodist chapel, or are of unknown date (Sites 18, 11 and 08). Seven Grade II Listed Buildings are also located within the study area, although the proposed pipeline will impact on none of these. The pipeline crosses Colby Bridge (Site 05) at the southern end of the village which is documented from 1602. The extant structure is modern with no traces of an earlier crossing evident. A short section of the proposed route also passes through the buildings associated with Colby Hall (Site 12) and although the extant buildings will not be affected by the scheme, any potential below ground remains may be disturbed by the groundworks. In light of the potential for archaeological remains, it has been agreed with the Planning Archaeologist, Cumbria County Council that an archaeological watching brief will be undertaken during the groundworks phase of the proposed flow transfer structure which will be the subject of a separate report.

Item Type:Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects:Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
ID Code:4453
Deposited By: Parsons
Deposited On:01 Nov 2018 09:37
Last Modified:01 Nov 2018 09:37

Repository Staff Only: item control page